Monday, November 30, 2009

Neurofeedback, A Chiropractor for your Brain

Several years ago, I tried a treatment that I thought of as fairly radical. I felt skeptical but in need of something more in my treatment to control bipolar disorder and co morbid conditions of my Asperger’s Syndrome. The treatment; neurofeedback. Neurofeedback is a balancing treatment for your brainwaves, and it actually works.

Neurofeedback, also called neurotherapy or EEG biofeedback is a process of training conscious control of various brainwave patterns by showing the patient results of brainwave activity with a video screen and attachment to sensors on the scalp.

Imagine a white circle on a black screen. If you are over tense or tense at all, the ball floats off to the left of the screen. If you are too relaxed, it floats off to the right. You learn to control yourself by concentrating on keeping that big round blip in the middle of the screen. There are several different screen settings and “games” to pick from, but all of them come out with about the same results. They’re just plain neat to see. You can get a very detailed explanation of neurofeedback in wikipedia. There are also many good websites for your own research on the subject. I look at it like having a chiropractor for your brain.

My results in treatment? I found myself calmer in situations that normally would have made me angry. I found myself less confused and more capable of complex decisions than before. I didn’t stop taking my medications, but I certainly found the treatment to be very helpful to my over all medical care and control of my conditions. I advise it as worth looking into.

Neurofeedback is listed as treating ADHD, bipolar, and other mood disorders. Check out Neurofeedbacktherapy.net for a more complete list of conditions treated. I don’t personally advise dropping other treatments for the sake of this one, but I do advise using it right along with your existing treatments. Naturally, it’s worthwhile to consult a trusted physician.

No comments: